Wednesday, November 28, 2012

1 Chicken, 4 Easy Meals- Part 1: The Roast Chicken

I Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving!  I know I certainly did.  :)


A few weeks ago I was watching one of my favorite shows on the Food Network, Barefoot Contessa, and the episode was all about roasting chicken.

I decided I had to have one!

And while doing my meal planning for the next week I started wondering how many meals I could make from one roast chicken?  I think 4.

The first is of course the roasting of the chicken.  
I used Ina Garten's video from the Food Network YouTube channel

I just love her!

I used one 5 lb free-range, vegetarian-fed, no-antibiotic, cage-free chicken.  It cost about 2x as much as the other Tyson brand chickens at the store, but for me, its worth it to spend a little more.

In fact, it was 7.10 for the ethical chicken and the same price for a 2-pack of un-ethical Tyson chicken.

A great thing about her recipe is that she uses fennel and fresh thyme, these ingredients taste amazing together!  Plus its fun to try new ingredients from time to time.  If you dont want to use these, you really dont have to.  You could replace the fennel with a diced potato or two.  

If you decide to go with the fennel, it may be labeled at your grocery store as anise.

Pre-roasting

Roasted


YUM!

We split one of the breasts and the vegetables for meal one.  It was awesome!

After removing all of the meat, I used the carcass(and stuffing), along with the remaining 1/2 of an onion, 1/2 the stalks of the fennel/anise plant, and the top few inches and leafy tops of 1 bunch of celery to make stock for future meals.

I also removed the meat from the thigh pieces and put the remaining bones and fatty bits into the broth.
Fill pot with fresh water until contents are just covered and simmer for 3-4 hours. (till it tastes like broth)
Add salt.
Refrigerate.


The leftover breast and legs went in one container, drippings from the roasting pan into another, and bits of meat from the thighs and carcass into a third.

Lots of food stored away for future meals!




No comments:

Post a Comment